Microsoft Graph Data Connect (MGDC) delivers rich data assets to OneDrive and SharePoint tenants, so they can run their own analytics, derive insights from their data and understand how they use these products. The data is transferred to an Azure account owned by the tenant, where they can use tools like Azure Synapse and Power BI to transform this into insightful reports and dashboards.
The two main scenarios are Security (information oversharing, external sharing) and Capacity (understanding site lifecycle and storage). SharePoint currently offers 3 datasets via MGDC: Sites, Groups and Sharing. This solution is available as a private preview in 5 regions (APC, AUS, EUR, GBR, NAM).
This blog post is a collection of links related to the OneDrive and SharePoint data available via MGDC. This is meant as pointers to specific and relevant content, which you can bookmark for future reference.
MGDC main links
- MGDC main link – Microsoft Graph Data Connect
- Video: Microsoft Graph Data Connect at Microsoft Mechanics – YouTube
- Video: Microsoft Graph Data Connect with SharePoint Demo – YouTube
Part of the Microsoft 365 Community Call on 2022-11-28
- DocumentSharingDataset_v0_Preview – SharePoint Sharing Permissions
- SharePointGroupsDataset_v0_Preview – SharePoint Groups
- SharePointSitesDataset_v0_Preview – SharePoint Sites
- Gathering a detailed dataset on your SharePoint Sites
- Information Oversharing Template Setup
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2207816 (follow the instructions)
- Power BI sample with that you can use with the data coming from the pipeline
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2211101 (click on the download button)
- Four Options for SharePoint Site Analytics
- Microsoft Graph Data Connect (MGDC) step-by-step with Azure Data Factory by Nik Charlebois
- Summary of the M365 Community Call on 2022-11-29 with a demo of SharePoint with MGDC
Frequently Asked Questions (blog series)
- SharePoint on MGDC FAQ: Which date should I query?
- SharePoint on MGDC FAQ: How can I use Delta State Datasets?
- SharePoint on MGDC FAQ: Which regions are supported?
- SharePoint on MGDC FAQ: What counts as an object?
Other Blogs about SharePoint on MGDC
- Ignite 2022: Transforming collaboration with low and pro code dev tools – Microsoft 365 Developer Blog (search for “SharePoint datasets”)
- Scale access to Microsoft 365 data with Microsoft Graph Data Connect – Microsoft 365 Developer Blog (search for “SharePoint”)
- Unlimited collaboration insights with Microsoft Graph and Azure Synapse Analytics – Microsoft Mechanics Blogs (covers MGDC with Synapse in General, includes video)
- Build 2022
Unlocking the power of your Microsoft 365 data with Microsoft Graph Data Connect | OD09
(Good overview of MGDC, with SharePoint datasets mentioned at minute 5:08)
- Ignite 2022
Graham Sheldon: From low code to pro code: building and buying collaborative apps to power an evolving workplace
(Synapse template described at minute 26:25)
- Ignite 2022
Rohan Kumar: Innovate faster and achieve greater agility with the Microsoft Intelligent Data Platform
(MGDC and analytics with Synapse mentioned at minute 16:52)
- Microsoft Mechanics
Unlimited collaboration insights with Microsoft Graph & Azure Synapse Analytics
- Microsoft 365 Community Call
Microsoft 365 Platform Community Call – 29th of November, 2022
(Includes MGDC Overview and Demo)
- Main MGDC documentation link: https://aka.ms/mgdcdocs
- All MGDC datasets – https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/data-connect-datasets
- MGDC billing – https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/data-connect-policies
- MGDC Integration with the Privileged Access Management (PAM) – https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/data-connect-pam
- Video: Microsoft Graph Data Connect Overview (includes demo) – YouTube
Let me know if you have other links that you would like to add to this list…
One thought on “Links about SharePoint on MGDC”